As a kid one of the worst realisations was when I found out that a rainbow does not produce a pot of gold. What no tricky Leprechaun guarding the the pot. Even now I feel a tinge of sadness when a rainbow appears.
This rainbow appeared four years ago on our last holiday. I remember our son trying to get his head around an overseas pot of gold.
- would it be legal tender in the U.K.
- Is it the same pot of gold that appears in the U.K. or does every country have its own pot of gold
- If the rainbow straddles two countries do you get two different types of gold in either end
- What happens if the pot of gold appears over water – does it float
- If the gold sinks what happens if a fish swallows a gold coin – does the fish get to keep the gold – does he disappear when the gold goes
- Are we allowed to bring the pot of gold through customs
- Is it taxable (that was my thought)
This rainbow photograph was taken on a Sunday. Five days later I had a Swiss beer with my evening meal. Not had alcohol since. I really don’t miss the booze. I do miss the friendship and socialising but not the drink. I’m not sure what my old climbing buddies would make of it. We sat around the camp fire drinking whiskey and eating sausages. Now they would do the same while I sit there drinking herbal tea and eating tofu. Suspect I would be assigned to the solo ascent team.
A few weeks ago an advert came on the radio about a lager which was apparently liquid gold. Son immediately asked how much it cost to buy a glass of gold in a pub. I jokingly pointed out that the excessive cost of drinking gold would be the least of your concerns. As gold inside of you would be really really bad for your health.
“Dad you must know gold is chemically inert so it possess little risk. It should just pass through the system when you go to the toilet.”
I never knew that going to the toilet could be so costly.
Now a thought crosses my mind. What would you do if you found did find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and you discovered that it was a pot of liquid gold lager…
Now that would just sum up my luck….