The wonderful Chelsea Owens has a weekly Terrible Poetry Contest. This week she has openly said that she is ‘trying to tease one of our entrants, but don’t tell him“. Just have a look at the topic.
“Hello poets, and welcome to the 31st Weekly Terrible Poetry Contest!
Read the basic how-to about what we do around here if you’re confused. If you don’t want to click a link and read an outline, that’s cool. You can also stay up all night and write whatever comes out before drinking coffee.
Besides that, here are the specifics for this week:
- Just to be inclusive, the Topic is small rodents’ opinions on political policies.
I am a moderate and do not approve of anyone shaming, judging, hating, or blaming others for their views; but the politicians themselves are free game.
- Don’t filibuster for too long. Keep the Length to 200 words or fewer.
- Rhyme if it makes your constituents happy. Or, just promise to.
- Most importantly: Make it terrible. In fact, make “Make it terrible” your slogan. Slap “Make it terrible” stickers on babies and kiss their sweet mothers for the camera.
- I realize this sort of thing can raise some blood pressures, so keep your poem PG or cleaner. After all, in rodent politics they don’t actually want fur to fly.
You have till 8:00 a.m. MST next Friday (June 28) to submit a poem.”
The US wants to build a really big wall
It’s to keep bad folk out maybe like Darth Maul
Paris is a beautiful place full of Yellow Vests
A great city to visit especially if you like protests
Canada seemed to have a charismatic leader
Now he seems tainted to the lay reader
The UK is run by a bunch of useless buffoons
Soon to become no more than Trumps spittoon
Clearly we are being failed by our politicians
Yet our rodents have untapped political ambitions
They want to address Climate Change
Rodents want positive action not wasting time on the golf range
They are not happy with our leaders looking after the rich only
Rodents will favour the poor and make sure the rich feel very lonely
They see that nationalism has disastrous consequences
Rodents will build bridges not really big fences
Politicians like to feed on your souls
Rodents like to munch on your toilet rolls
The ruling elite need to tremble
As its time for the Gerbils to Assemble