The world has too many numpties. Sadly too many mean spirited ones.
A self titled leading right wing thinker described Greta Thunberg as sounding like a modern day demon with her monotone voice and that apocalyptic look in her eyes. Spouting her dangerous cultish talk.
I’m not going to name the prat who said that. Let’s hope he just crawls back under his rock and disappears. Unfortunately we have members of our ruling governing party who publicly share that view. They can do likewise with that rock. They can keep each other company and I’m sure they will be happy together.
Let’s get this right and let’s keep this simple for the numpties.
Greta is a teenager with Aspergers standing up for what she believes in.
One of the common symptoms of Aspergers is although those on the spectrum may have a great vocabulary they may struggle to express themselves. Monotone vocal delivery, difficulty controlling voice levels, talking too fast or too slow and slurring words. This certainly applies to our son. It was more pronounced when he was younger. Thankfully we managed to secure some sessions with a Speech Therapist. Those sessions really helped. They started working quickly and it was good for his self esteem. This is unusual as often the therapy seems to take so long to see any meaningful positive results. Sadly it often feels like therapy for therapies sake.
We certainly picked up some things we could try at home
- Breathing techniques. Breathing correctly is fundamental to everything we do. The argument goes if you can control your breathing you can relax and control everything you do. Take a deep breath then start to speak while trying to breath out slowly.
- Singing to music. Find a room with some privacy. Play some loud music and just try to copy the singing.
- Repeatedly keep saying out aloud some funny limericks.
- Role playing. Watch some movies, find some interesting characters and then play act some of the scenes trying to mimic the actors lines.
- Practice taking a few seconds to think of a line you want to say. Breathe then say that line. Then choose a different line and try again.
- If you come across some words that cause repeated problems try to think of easier words to use instead.
And one exercise for us all. Let’s try to be more understanding. More aware of everyone’s individuality. That applies to everyone except for the mean spirited, narrow minded numpties. For them they can just sod off…..