It’s the 1st August and it’s Yorkshire Day. Yes we have one….
So put on a pot of Yorkshire Tea, enjoy some Yorkshire Puddings and try to do a Yorkshire accent. So many to choose from.
- New Doctor Who
- Michael Palin
- Judy Dench
- Wallace (Wallace and Gromit)
- Shouting like Brian Blessed
- Boromir (Lord of the Rings)
- Jean-Luc Picard or Professor X
- Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear)
Once you’ve picked your accent then it’s time to summon up your inner Yorkshire. If you do any of these things then you clearly have some White Rose DNA flowing through your body.
- Have an urge for a roast dinner on a Sunday,
- Moan about it being too hot and too sunny,
- Have a sudden urge to wear a flat cap or knotted handkerchief to protect you from that pesky sun,
- The shorts or bikinis come out while many animals are still hibernating for winter,
- Hate spending money,
- Can fully understand people talking in shows like All Creatures Great and Small, Last of the Summer Wine, Emmerdale and Brideshead Revisited,
- Think the words ‘chuffed’ and ‘Aye’ work on so many levels,
- Bargain hunting becomes an obsession,
- Prefer white to red roses,
- Found yourself watching cricket,
- You have an opinion which clearly has to be communicated to anyone within 2 miles,
- Call lunch – Dinner and call Dinner – Tea,
- See Rhubarb as an art form,
- Find yourself singing to Def Lepard, Whitesnake, Free, Joe Cocker, The Hunan League, Robert Palmer, The Beautiful South, Pulp, Arctic Monkeys and Ed Sheeran,
- Can speak for hours without pronouncing the letter T,
- Think Ferrets are best kept in your trouser pockets,
- Look at the Olympic table and then try to work out how high up your local place would be if it suddenly declared independence – at one stage Yorkshire was 8th in the medal table,
- Believe that chip butties are a balanced, nutritional dish that meet all your health needs.
So if you tick any of these boxes then I wish you a Happy Yorkshire Day.