It’s Sunday so it must be time for our weekly virtual trip to one of the worlds most beautiful countries. It’s time for a little bit of Switzerland. So while we are wandering amongst The Alps let’s consider a few random facts about this wonderful country.
- Switzerland is one of the main filming locations for Bollywood movies,
- Einstein’s most famous equation about Energy was developed while he lived here,
- Guess where the Swiss Army Knife was invented…..
- It has the largest nuclear shelter in the world,
- The majority of the world’s luxury watches come from Switzerland,
- It has four national languages. Romansch, German, French and Italian,
- Most transport announcements are also made in English,
- It has its priorities right. Education is really well funded and teachers are well paid.
- It’s original name was Helvetia,
- The country does not have an official animal. Many think it is the bear but actually if you spend anytime here then you will quickly realise that it should be the Cow,
- Monte Rosa is its highest mountain at 15203ft,
- Switzerland has many laws protecting animals. Dogs can eat in restaurants. Social animals must be kept in pairs. If one of the pair dies you must replace it. This applies to small animals like Guinea Pigs,
- Switzerland is always in the top 3 countries for life expectancy,
- The worlds largest particle physics laboratory lies beneath Switzerland,
- The Swiss love chocolate. They eat over 11 kilos of chocolate per person each year. Yet they have the least obese population in the whole of Europe,
The final random fact. Many believe that Scotland is the home of golf. Wrong. It’s Switzerland.