This is a photo from 3 years ago. I stumbled across it while looking for some old climbing ones. Another typical Yorkshire August day – all four seasons in one day. It got me thinking – what’s the same and what’s changed in those 1000 odd days. See that’s what a professional accountancy qualification can do for you – I’m good at those complicated adding up calculations.
THINGS WHICH ARE THE SAME
- Getting no dyslexia support from school,
- Getting no Aspergers support or accommodations from school,
- Still bereaved,
- Still a single parent,
- Still a metal head at heart,
- Hawklad is still a lovely character,
- No holidays, no Switzerland,
- Pets causing chaos,
- My football team is still useless,
- Still see myself as European,
- Brexit is still a shambles and a monumental exercise of self destruction,
- Can’t cook,
- Still exercising,
- Still 5ft 10 and a half (don’t forget the half – it takes me beyond average height),
- Still not climbing,
- Still can’t work out the TV remote control,
- The garden is still a mess,
- Still don’t like U2,
- Still haven’t seen Avatar without falling asleep,
- Haven’t seen my brother even though we live only 50 miles apart,
- The garden gate still needs fixing,
- The washing machine is still possessed,
- Still having bought myself that ginormous telescope,
- The blog is still going,
- Still writing about the same stuff,
- Still waiting for official recognition of my stellar poetry skills,
- Still haven’t won the lottery,
- Still losing my car keys.
THINGS THAT HAVE CHANGED FOR THE WORSE
- As Hawklad has reached the teenage stage many of the health support packages have been removed,
- The waiting list to see The Paediatrician is now approaching 2 years,
- A pesky pandemic,
- Hawklads anxiety levels,
- Hawklads isolation from the world and other kids his age,
- Due to circumstances had to stop running,
- Trumps antics,
- Might be a metal head but the days of skin tight jeans have gone,
- Lost a couple of much loved pets,
- Don’t really see my sisters anymore,
- School’s view of Hawklad – definitely revising his perceived ability levels downwards,
- The number of times I have to shout or pull my hair out at school is rising,
- I’m physically meeting less people,
- The list of things on the ‘need sorting out when funds are available‘ is growing.
THINGS THAT HAVE CHANGED FOR THE BETTER
- Hawklad understands himself and his Aspergers much better now,
- Hawklad is overcoming his dyslexia,
- I understand now that it’s just as ok to Laugh as it is to Cry, YES it’s ok to live,
- Close Friendships,
- One step closer to home schooling (hopefully),
- My dress sense – I finally chucked out some of my pink climbing shirts.
You might be thinking that looking at the relative number of entries on these lists that the last 1000 odd days have been generally bad. But look at some of those things on the last list. It’s not about quantity it’s about quality. Yep looking at that last list, over the last 1000 odd days we have challenges but some really good stuff has still happened. That’s why there is always hope.
“Dad why are politicians always nasty to each other now. You get more done if you work together or just talk.”
I really can’t argue with that. Maybe that’s why the world is in such a mess. Politics has just become a bear pit. Disrespect, dishonesty, verbal and physical abuse are the norm. Where good people are silenced and vilified.
Wind back the clock a few years and politics seemed to have more decency and politeness. The photograph below was our PM with the two leaders of the opposition parties. You would struggle to get that type of photo with members of the same Party these days.
It’s time for our leaders to start being civil again. A good start would be for everyone of them to stop continually shouting abuse and listen just a bit more. That’s not listening to their own voice but to others.
A largely stress free week for our son. It’s strange how these always coincide with times away from school. How can we have got education so badly wrong for so many kids. So many great teachers yet so many unhappy and unfulfilled children.
Our son likes lists. It reflects how is mind works. They are honest, raw and unfiltered.
Dad I have a top ten list of what I am looking forward to and not looking forward to with this school term
- Being treated like I’m not allowed to understand stuff. I’m low attainment so I am supposed to act like it. Kids who get lower marks than me, who don’t answer as many questions are in classes above me.
- Having to put my hand up for help. I have an invisible disability which school doesn’t want to see. So I don’t get any help. No help at all.
- Never getting a chance to shine.
- Having to do tests which are made to make me fail.
- Completely pointless homework. It’s just testing your handwriting.
- Too much noise. Too many people.
- Being in a class with so many kids who don’t want to be there so they are naughty. Because I’m in the bottom class I’m supposed to be naughty.
- Having to wear a uniform which is so uncomfortable and feels awful.
- It’s never fun. Just rules and avoiding being given negatives.
- At least it’s not an 8, 9 or 10 week school term.
So in a few hours it starts again. I will repeatedly bang my head on an unmoving brick wall as school and the local council won’t shift. They make me sound like that annoying parent who just will not see the clear logic of the situation. How dare I question the system.
All I can do is keep being there for our son. But maybe there is something else. Let’s really be that annoying pushy parent. Clearly working WITH school and the authorities doesn’t work. What has it produced. A kid stuck in bottom class getting absolutely no extra help at all.
Autism – nothing
Dyspraxia – nothing
Even the little bit of help he received with Dyslexia has been removed
Diplomacy has failed. Working with the authorities has failed. Maybe it’s time to fight them.
Dad tell me the Top 5 things that scare the pants off you. I bet they are different to mine.
So here goes then.
- Donald Trump and Boris Johnson running countries.
- Bono’s singing
But Dad you are supposed to be a climber.
I’m fine as long as I don’t look down. I would climb in really dark sunglasses so I couldn’t see very far. Ok son what’s your 5 things that scare the pants off you.
- Climate change
- Trump being within a few feet of the nuclear button
So that’s our scary pants 5. What’s yours then?
Dad why are you smiling.
I’m playing that mind training game. My brain age has been assessed as 28.
I take that it’s 28 months and not years then Dad.
Consider my brief basking bubble has been officially burst.
I was listening to a chap on the radio basking in the news that Brexit has moved a step closer. In his bubble this is wonderful. The new deal our great PM has negotiated is brilliant. Billions been taken away from Europe and will be given to our NHS and schools. Taxes will come down. Businesses will boom. Wages will rise on the back of all these wonderful new trade deals. For our country and our kids I really hope his bubble is not burst. I really do.
I wish I was in this Brexit bubble – but I’m sadly not. This brilliant deal is based on two dubious principles.
- A Customs Union Border in the Irish Sea splitting the UK in two with Northern Ireland effectively staying under EU trade rules. Bizarrely our PM said last year that this idea would be a disaster and no Government could ever sign up to it. Equally bizarrely our Foreign Secretary has said the arrangement will be a great deal for Northern Ireland. Staying in the Customs Union is a special deal. Ok so why is this special deal not been given to Scotland, Wales and England. Oh yes I forgot that would mean staying in the EU.
- All the important negotiations on trade and relations with the EU will be done after we officially leave. Basically we would have 14 months from leaving to sort this out. So basically we leave without known on what basis we are going. But here’s the rub. Here’s why many on the Right love this idea. It gives the Government the right to leave with no deal. Just have to wait 14 months then thy can blame the EU. That’s the crash and burn strategy many on the Right have always wanted.
The bottom line is this new Brexit Deal is a BAD DEAL which was rejected last year. Rejected even by the team pushing it now. It’s a Great Deal for the Rich and a BAD DEAL for the rest of us. Again I hope I’m wrong but deep down I do fear for the future. No I don’t think the Country will go bankrupt. Life will continue. But it will be worse. We are not in a strong bargaining position for the new trade deals. Any deal with Trump will mean opening up our NHS to his big business friends. To compete the Government wants Britain (now Northern Ireland remains effectively in the EU) to move to an economy which is based on low wages and zero regulations. Where the drive is for tax cuts and profits for the Rich. Our wages are going to fall and our worker rights are going to be eroded with no safety net of public sector support.
But apparently I’m missing the point of Brexit. One of the biggest supporters of Brexit has said ‘Brexit was never just about the money’. That’s easy for you to say when your not exactly short of a penny or two. But ok point taken. Let’s look at travel rights. Britain’s will lose the right to travel freely in 26 countries and will not benefit from free or discounted medical cover in those countries. That’s not so good. One of the first actions of Brexit will be to scrap EU regulations on Food Standards, Environment Protection, Freedom of Speech, Workers Rights, Maximum weekly working hours, Maternity and Paternity Rules. The rules designed to protect us. Thats not good either. But hang on let’s not forget we get a different coloured passport with no mention of Europe on the front. Unfortunately last time I heard the new passports will be largely produced in the EU. But let’s celebrate having a blue passport, so much nicer than that red one.
For my sons sake I really hope I’m wrong. I really do. But at the moment I’m clinging to the hope that this new deal is rejected. Yes in an ideal world I would like to stay in the EU. The EU is certainly not perfect but it’s a whole lot better than the current alternative. But if we do go then WE still have time to do Brexit right. Just agreeing to keep Freedom of Movement would make a huge difference. And yes in our little bubbles we can still have our Blue Passports.
I had a lovely email from a fine American chap. Thank you so much for taking the time to write personally to me. It was most entertaining – best laugh of the day so far. Unfortunately I didn’t get round to responding to you for some reason. I accidentally deleted your email. I think your a big fan of my blog. I don’t usually get the following gushing complements.
Full of liberal bullshit lies
Keep your dumb motherf****** Limie views to yourself
I think you took great offence at one of my comments about your precious President. I wonder if it was when I compared him to a pumpkin. Or maybe it was calling his precious wall – stupid. Or maybe it was thinking I had seen this hairstyle somewhere before.
So to my American friend I must do another commie post real soon here. Don’t tell anyone but I’ve just done a guest post on another site which I’m sure you will agree with. I think I compared your leader to Nero.
But in the meantime here are a couple of Bernie Sanders quotes I’m sure you will love.
“And let me make the radical statement that I don’t believe that you can say something profound in the 140 characters that make up a tweet”
“You’ve got the top 400 Americans owning more wealth than the bottom 150 million Americans. Most folks do not think that is right.“
5 Days 14 Hours xx Seconds
No my blog has not been sponsored by Jack Bauer and the 24 TV Production Team. It’s the time I’ve gone without speaking to anyone (excluding our son). I’m not sure if I should be proud or a tad worried. Maybe both.
So almost a week without a phone call, chance meeting or random conversation. Even on two long runs – didn’t bump into a single person. Its one of the prices you pay for living in a small village.
It’s an odd feeling. Have I been secretly ostracised. Has my liking for Nickelback finally caught up with me…….
I had assumed my streak would have ended today as today was the food shopping trip. However I managed to get round the aisles without uttering a word. I did smile a few times at random folk. Surely a conversation will be struck with the assistant on the cash till. But no. All the tills were full so I opted for the self service lane. No scanning problems encountered so the streak continued.
Tomorrow I have to go to the work unit but that is in a largely deserted industrial estate and I will be the only person in our building. So the streak may continue into Thursday. Hang on a minute Thursday is Valentines Day. Wow am I going to be seriously cranky by the 14th…
Anyway we have started a little wager, who will break my streak. I’ve gone for a random cold caller with my first words being “will you just bugger off”. Son is going for the postman or randomly a lost Donald Trump.
I will keep you posted…..
Completely forgot about our own dogs attempt at looking like Donald Trump.
Son was a bit upset today. One of his classes had a surprise test. He didn’t get any reading help, had to try and type the answers using his left hand and didn’t get any extra time. So understandably he didn’t get anywhere near finishing. Angry face. 😡
To try and lift his spirits I thought we would play a little game. Sometimes it’s not a good idea to go with the first thing that pops into your head.
Can we think of which animals famous people look like. Sorry this is not very PC but it was the first thing which crawled into my empty brain. It did immediately catch our son’s imagination. A few minutes later we were both snorting with laughter.
Some of the images we conjured up I won’t share. But a few we probably can get away with.
U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May we both agreed on this one.
US Vice President Mike Pence while looking at a video of President Trump our son said that the chap stood next to him who said nothing looked like an African Vulture.
I on the other hand could only see one of those petting zoo Lamas. The ones who stand next to someone quietly and just look blankly into the distance.
US President Donald Trump we argued over this one. Son went for
For some reason I just couldn’t get the image of Sid trying to milk the Male Musk Ox in Ice Age. So I’m going for that Ox as my Mr Trump.
In the spirit of balance it’s only fair that we bring the animal likeness thing a little closer to home.
Me after much debate we have agreed that the Sea Cow is my best fit.
I think it’s now officially time for happy face. 😎