It was a three cups of Decaf problem. Trying to explain Displacement Chemical Reactions to Hawklad. Problem is that it’s been decades since I last thought about them. I was clearly so out of practice.
Out of practice….
That got me thinking. Yes I do think somedays. Just how much I am out of practice in SO many areas. That’s not just in the area of Homeschooling. Lots of areas. Out of practice because of lockdown, because of single parenting, because of life.
- Haven’t been on a bike in over a year,
- Similarly my last run was back in March 2020,
- Haven’t been out to a restaurant in 5 years,
- Over a year since I watched a movie at the cinema,
- Not experienced a Quickening in ages (That wont make any sense unless you’ve seen the Highlander movie). Quickening is the name I gave to family gatherings. The last time someone potentially lost their head at these get together was back in 2018,
- Over 8 years since I tried my hand at climbing AND
- Over 8 years since I tried my hand at falling off a cliff,
- Not played team sports in 10 years,
- Not had to give a speech at an audience in 7 years,
- Not danced in a nightclub this century,
- Not done any paid work in months,
- Not been paddling in the bracing North Sea since 2019,
- Not slept away from our house since the summer of 2015,
- That was also the last time I went on holiday and had to look innocent on my way through passport control,
- Haven’t had a hug or kiss since 2016,
- Haven’t met up with friends since 2018,
- Not ironed a shirt in a year,
- Not packed an elephant sized amount of gear into a school bag in the same time.
So yes I’m definitely out of practice. It’s going to seem really odd when I do finally get back to doing some of these things. Really odd.