Somebody waiting to share my ice lolly.
This weekend the weather is going to be mad. For a start it’s dry (which is mad for Yorkshire). But the temperature. Midday today it was 21C (70F). Midday tomorrow is due to be 2C (35F). On the Yorkshire temperature scale that’s going from a string vest to two jumpers.
This week it was a 4 day school session. Definitely into a pattern now. Some subjects working well using an iPad and online resources. Some lessons not working well. But what have we learnt this week from the school at home project.
- School are looking at how to enforce social distancing when they reopen. They are doing this without any help or information or resources from the so called Government. The only way they have managed to find a practical way is to split the existing classes up. Maximum Class sizes have to a third of what they are now. This basically means that it only works if many kids are homeschooled for at least part of the week.
- The secret with about teaching is understand the particular needs of the child. With our Son and a subject like a History, it’s not about getting new information into him. Already he has a staggering encyclopaedia stored. It’s finding ways to get that knowledge out of him.
- It’s basically impossible to free hand draw a circle and a pentagram on a tablet.
- Even at home we have a stationary leak. Pens, pencils, erasers, rulers …. are going missing. I can understand losing them at school but at home …. really. Where are they?
- When did long divisions become so complicated.
- Son is enjoying having a regular school lunch. He says that his work on an afternoon has improved. He’s less tired. At school because of too many kids trying to use overstretched catering facilities, Son often doesn’t eat or drink. It’s certainly not helped by government pressure to cut break and lunch times.
- Kryptonite won’t count when you are trying to name inert elements.
- Son, the IPad and I do not agree on how most words are spelt.
- One of the great feels is Son completing a lesson with 30 minutes to spare. Son can go outside and I can hover.
- I am becoming a bit of an expert in Russian geography. Begs the question why I was so rubbish at Geography when I was at school.
- The French I learned (or thought I learned) is fundamentally different to the French Son is learning now.
- In all the weeks we have done this thing at home, most subjects have not set additional homework. Yet we are told that the kids are keeping up on the curriculum requirements. So what is the point of setting heaps of daily homework when they are at school
And the last thing we have learnt. Ice lollies during subjects like Drama really do ease the pain.